6X pair on a NUBM44 with a G2 primary.

Cylindrical lenses are quite commonly used to expand the Laser diode which in turn will improve beam quality.
PhotonicPyro

6X pair on a NUBM44 with a G2 primary.

Post by PhotonicPyro » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Just a quick vid showing how what would be a 50mm wide line @ 5 meters becomes a 7mm wide line and a decent ribbon beam.

I did say perpendicular but meant parallel to the base, that is your focused G2 should produce a horizontal line at distance, it will however appear as a little perpendicular line upon the 1st Cyl lens, that's the concave cyl,

Center the horizontal focused line on a distant center point and do so for each cylindrical lens without moving the laser, if there is any tilt in your mounting your line will appear skewed, correct it mechanically. Otherwise simply center all lenses on the same distant point.
It's not difficult, you should do this with the laser running and with safety glasses on your face, I use metal tools, a couple lengths of coat hanger or anything that wont burn and carefully adjust the concave lens 1st then the convex.

I use UV activated glue and a 385nm FL to set it, a 405nm lase can be used but the 385nm FL is faster.

Get both lenses attached to bases before you start, I use little aluminum squares, then have them both wetted at the edges with the UV glue and set in place before curing.
I cure mine with the laser running and aligned to be certain nothing moves, it's really not difficult, just be patient and protect your eyes.

Here's a pitiful but basic video depiction.

CDBEAM

Re: 6X pair on a NUBM44 with a G2 primary.

Post by CDBEAM » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:36 am

Great review...Thanx for the work/video !!

I must try the UV set epoxy !!!!

IIRC...I tried this exact set up.....and got the same results....which are good.....but....sometime in the near future...I should try to combine the 044E....with a set of 6x....AND...collimated by a EFL 2mm unit from LSP....

This MAY give improved results...as the 2mm EFL is a more aggressive optic...and may deliver a superior FF lower divergence ?

Has anyone tried the 044E + 2mm EFL Colli + 6X Cylindrical's yet ??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanx,
CDBEAM
Beam Axiom #1 ~ The Quantum Well is DEEP ! Photons or ALL.
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

photon

Post by photon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:49 am

indeed, that is just cool, what power was it.

JORS

Post by JORS » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 am

Thanks for sharing. Which UV epoxy brand do you recommend to glue optics to metal? it must be very stable and durable.
Also, is 385nm FL a led diode?
thanks!

siteadmin
Site Admin

Post by siteadmin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:44 pm

First I set the main beam to be aligned with the final beam, fix those in place then put then middle beam in the center,. this way you do not zig-zag the beam thru each lens while trying to make it clean.

I was thinking lately to have a small optical rail system too between laser source and final lens.

Return to “Laser Diode Beam correction using cylindrical lenses”