Wheel for Lumia

Laser Lumia Components sourcing, Motors, speed controllers & Lumia Discs Materials
Antharak

Wheel for Lumia

Post by Antharak » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:56 am

I found this wheel on American DJ. I'm new to this Lumia stuff, so I don't know how good a deal it is.
I just thought I would share it. http://parts.adj.com/ProductDetails.asp ... O711&Qty=1
Ed

CDBEAM

Re: Wheel for Lumia

Post by CDBEAM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:24 am

Well...It ALL depends on what you can DIY accomplish as it pertains to the Lumia Wheel price !!! Have you used a Diamond Disc saw for cutting glass B4 ??

You can get a 12" x 12" x 1/8" at

http://www.delphiglass.com/?source=over ... lphi+glass

Cost = about $ 20~$ 25....BUT...You must make the circles....and figure out how to attach the motor shaft !!

We can help you...if you want to DIY....if not...I like the look of the one from ADJ....Looks like something we have used.

Note: Clickamouse discovered Delphi Glass.... Myself and Dracos have been with him to make some selections....which involves shinning a HH beam thru the sample....and see what'ya get.

Bob
Beam Axiom #1 ~ The Quantum Well is DEEP ! Photons or ALL.
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

Antharak

Post by Antharak » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:32 am

I live in a small apartment and I don't think grinding glass would go over very well. I did see someone using CD disks that used heat deformation and using clear epoxy. I went for a smaller disk than the one I linked to and I have a cheap RG projector, one of those that just makes moving dots. I took out the diffraction grids so now I just get two beams. I'm planning on using that and a HENE that is on it's way to me. The motor I'm using is a 12v geared at 2rpm, but as I have read that this is to fast I'll just run it at a lower voltage.

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm

Well....yes....living in an apartment, you do have some restrictions !!
As far as running the motor on lower voltage....yes....that will work...up to a point
....but....of course....if ya turn it down too low...it will stall....AND...if a stalled motor
just sits there....and runs....but the motor shaft is not turning at all....one may damage
the motor.

I like to go really low in RPM !!

Maybe look at this....for Build #2......
https://www.servocity.com/0-5-rpm-gear-motor
This motor....coupled with a PWM Speed control....
you can get down to 0.25 RPM.....or 15 RPH.....which is getting slow

As you will come to appreciate...there are many, many options with Lumia !!

Bob
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

Antharak

Post by Antharak » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:10 pm

The motor in your link is much like the one I plan to use. It should get down to .5 RPM running it at 4 volts. I have been playing with motors and I think I can get what I want with the motor I'm getting. At this point.
Thank you Bob for all your help.
I see much more Lumia down the road for me, I'm hooked
Ed

Draco

Post by Draco » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:36 pm

cutting the discs with a 70-75mm diameter is not as loud as one would think, just do it when people are not sleeping at 2 am, I prefer using a drill press but can do it with a hand drill, my first attempts where in my bath tub with a foam under layer so I don't cut a hole in my bath tub, I am goinf to build a box that can hold the water and can mount to the drill press, one quick way we found to mount the discs is to glue a magnet that has a hole in the middle so the motor shaft can extend though it and then glue a normal steel washer to the disc it's self that makes them very easy to swap out for different effects and is much cheaper then using metal mounts with screws . with a bit of practice you will get the hang for it, I need to find a template my self to make it easier to find the center of the disc and drill a hole in the center.
Draco

Antharak

Post by Antharak » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:26 am

Draco.
I used this to make templates to find the center of a disc. Trace the disc on a piece of paper and cut it out, a razor works well for this. Next fold it in half then fold it again. Be sure to keep the folds even. Next cut the very tip, no more than 1mm of the tip off with scissors. When you unfold it you will have a hole in the center. If the disc is not perfectly round be sure to mark a point with a marker so you can get the template in the same orientation.
I checked out Delphi glass and have a whole bunch of new Ideas.
Thank you
Ed

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 am

Well....see this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Center- ... SwtPZXHjuc

This is what I use to find the centre of a circle...

Now...Do we really need to have a bore hole in the Lumia disc ???....Why ???

Just epoxy a Neodymium magnet ( 6mm dia)....to the end of your motor shaft.....and epoxy a standard steel washer....with a centre bore of....say.....6.5mm....(so...0.25mm clearance per side)...to the centre of the Lumia disc !!!! There ya go !!....

Now.....No diamond drill boring....just epoxy'n go !! These Neodymium magnets have a great ability to fix things together....yet can be separated...with medium force....if one wanted to have a changeable Lumia disc arrangement !

See...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-50-100pc-6mm ... UaZvAK12EA

So...a really inexpensive , simple and effective coupling of the Lumia disc...to the motor shaft.

Hmmmm...The "TFOH" meter just pegged out !! HAHAHA

CDBEAM

Antharak

Post by Antharak » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:20 am

Got my wheel today, all 40mm of it. Only problem is the motor is 35mm so not much room to play with. But as I now know of Delphi glass, Thanks Bob, I'll be getting some of their plate and a cutter to make discs. I like the magnet epoxy idea and will be using that method.
Thanks to all for your help, you have pointed me in the right direction.
Ed

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:07 pm

40 mm OD !!!!!! ????? Yikes....kinda small !!!! And, with your motor OD footprint at 35 mm....not much room for error !!!

Clickamouse has trialed this fixing method with the magnet....with perfect results....I have not done it yet.

As usual.....I drill down deeply...Too deep....as I have with the Solar Prominence lll unit !!!....and this is my first Lumia unit !!!...I used a fixed hub....new units will employ the magnetic coupling concept !!!

I have three (3) more Laser Lumia ideas to try....each one more " Out there " than the last !!!.....Maybe linked to audio....maybe not !!!!!

As I said....stay tuned...for...you WILL see some " Off the Wall" Laser Lumia things here !!.....Bob :mrgreen:

Return to “Laser Lumia Components”