NUBM05,06,07,08 and NUGM01t diodes BEWARE!

So, how did it fare before it turned into an expensive little led.
PhotonicPyro

NUBM05,06,07,08 and NUGM01t diodes BEWARE!

Post by PhotonicPyro » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 pm

If you remove the can that holds the factory lens you will greatly reduce the working lifespan of your diode, this is a major issue with these lens in can diodes.

How do I know, after an expensive amount of personal testing it has become blatantly apparent, I do not have a spreadsheet but I have seen it time and time again, these otherwise awesome diodes lose brightness at a greatly accelerated rate when the can has been removed.

photon

Re: NUBM05,06,07,08 and NUGM01t diodes BEWARE!

Post by photon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:50 pm

PhotonicPyro wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 pm
If you remove the can that holds the factory lens you will greatly reduce the working lifespan of your diode, this is a major issue with these lens in can diodes.

How do I know, after an expensive amount of personal testing it has become blatantly apparent, I do not have a spreadsheet but I have seen it time and time again, these otherwise awesome diodes lose brightness at a greatly accelerated rate when the can has been removed.
Likely they have a little inert gas inside.

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Yes...So do I...at times !!! :lol: :lol:

More importantly....What happens if you leave the Ball Lens on ?????

....and slap a set of 6X downbeam ??? What divergence do you get ????

...Inquiring minds need to know !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bob
Beam Axiom #1 ~ The Quantum Well is DEEP ! Photons or ALL.
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 am

Hmmmm...In a PM...Polishedball informs me he has done just this....with great results !!...Hop in the pool here Mike...and regale us of your adventures !!! What do ya get for mRad # ???? 1.0 or below = Great !!! :mrgreen:
Beam Axiom #1 ~ The Quantum Well is DEEP ! Photons or ALL.
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

photon

Post by photon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:36 am

I was also thinking this could be done, in the end the beam parameters from the stock lens can be made the same as any other lens, the only factor is the emitter. If the beam is large after the stock lens, it still can be reduce to be the same as would be using a G2 .

I have 4 diodes I plan to test soon but certainly I am not going to un-cap them, I really do feel that they will have an inert gas inside which I think will serve two purposes.

1, keep oxigen away from the die.
2, maybe carry heat away from the die. ( not sure of heat will transport across an inert gas tho. )

PhotonicPyro

Post by PhotonicPyro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:53 am

The diodes will not last as long with the can removed, they lose brightness at an accelerated rate once exposed to oxygen and perhaps moisture in the air, however the diodes such as the NUBM06 that have a better factory lens focus to start with, they will ignite paper for several feet, and they can have that working distance increased with a 6X pair, however there appears to be many different factory lenses and some are better focused towards infinity than others, that is, not every 06 or 07 has the same spot size at a given distance, they vary block to block, likely to meet the OEM specs.

siteadmin
Site Admin

Post by siteadmin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Photon suggested the diode cans might be filled with a gas, i wonder if it exists a way to verify this.

Two interesting points.

1, Would saturating the diode in an inert gas protect it.

2, would the gas also transfer heat away from the die. This would be great for Laser Modules. I can already imagine that a vacuumed laser module filled with say argon might have a much longer life than one which doesnt.

This must be tested and i know just the guy to do this.

JORS

Post by JORS » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Ok, so What about P73?
It comes decanned from factory, and we are running those diodes since 2011 with good performance.

PhotonicPyro

Post by PhotonicPyro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Reds have been run open/canless for a long time, but you have never seen a blue LD without a can from the factory.
I read that it's oxygen that degrades blue LED's, that's why they are always encapsulated.

I did try a beam expander and that helped a good bit, I'm sure a prescription of corrective optics can be arranged, but there is more than 1 in can lens grind so a corrective arrangement would be needed for each.

The diodes with the best factory lens would be the easiest to correct with a cylindrical pair then a beam expander.

JORS

Post by JORS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 am

Thanks Photonicpyro,
I purchased some 07E to test but I removed stock lens and installed some G2 instead. I like to go with a known collimator because stock lens can vary from one diode block to another...and I can't change optics layout depending on such 'unknown' stock lens. I have beam profile measures with G2...but not lifespan degrading test.

However, I also have one NUBM08 here with stock lens in place. So,,,knowing this probably I'm not going to remove the stock lens on this one!
The 08 diode I have comes with 'short' stock lens. It seems the lens is ok in place and well focused, because I can see a sharp dot at several distances, from 7 to 20 meters...so it is not a blurry dot and seems well focused to near infinite.
With this 08 diode and 'short' stock lens, I get:
4x cyls:
5,5mm beam @1,21mrad (CV cyl placed 65mm far away from diode)
6,2mm beam @0,87mrad (CV cyl placed 80mm far away from diode)

6x cyls:
About 5mm beam @1,5mrad (CV cyl placed 25mm far away from diode)
About 6mm beam @0,9mrad (CV cyl placed 35mm far away from diode)

The fast axis is about 0,3mrad from stock lens.
Slow axis with NO CORRECTION (only stock lens) is about 15mrad! (125mm wide dot at 7,8meters)

Based on NF/FF beam profile I think the stock lens is about 3mm EFL...but I'm not really sure.

So, specs for 08 as we know are worse than 07E. Blue from 08 is in between 445-465nm. Not so dark like 9mm 445 diode, not so bright like 07....so in between.
Last edited by JORS on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “New Laser Diode Tests”