NUBM05,06,07,08 and NUGM01t diodes BEWARE!

So, how did it fare before it turned into an expensive little led.
CDBEAM

Re: NUBM05,06,07,08 and NUGM01t diodes BEWARE!

Post by CDBEAM » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:12 am

Jors...Thank you for sharing your details. Such information is greatly appreciated and is not typically shared.

In the end...we stand on the shoulders...of each other !! I view it that we are a great "Optics Lab"...spread around the globe....each placing a very small puzzle piece...into a great mosaic !!

Now...the real " Optic Labs ", University Labs....and ( Some )Projector Builders...may look down on our efforts....They may have huge budget's....Clean Rooms...and a Team of Optical Engineer's in white coats....enough to sink a boat....yea, yea...so what !!

We have something they will never have...Passion for our Hobby....the ability and discipline to arrive at solutions....on a " Shoe String " budget !!.....And the spirit of sharing !!!

SOoooo...I have a great enthusiasm for this forum !!! And while, there may be some limitations on the sharing of info...for...I do have some agreements...both official and hand-shake derived....that may limit complete transparency...I, for one ..... will push it to the limit !!!

Thank you, Bob :mrgreen:
Beam Axiom #1 ~ The Quantum Well is DEEP ! Photons or ALL.
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

siteadmin
Site Admin

Post by siteadmin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:20 pm

5W from one diode :-) its not bad
Actually it is great!

DTR

Post by DTR » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:35 pm

photon wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Likely they have a little inert gas inside.

One of my customers that has had discussions with Nichia about it said they did confirm there is a special back fill but would not disclose what it was as it is proprietary.

JORS wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 pm
Ok, so What about P73?
It comes decanned from factory, and we are running those diodes since 2011 with good performance.
Oxygen degradation does not seem to affect red diodes like InGaN diodes. So blueray, blue and green diodes.
PhotonicPyro wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 pm
I read that it's oxygen that degrades blue LD's, that's why they are always encapsulated.
Yep I have read it is due to carbon deposits. Extreme heat at the very small junction reacting with particles in the air at the emitting point over time leaves a buildup of carbon. Quick google search brings up quite a few articles like this.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _no_68940O

photon

Post by photon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 pm

It makes sense to add an inert gas.

JORS

Post by JORS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:43 am

So it seems better to stick with stock lens on...
Even if the colli is well focused at infinite (Does not always happen) not good news. Stock lens EFL could change from one diode batch to another compromising all the beam layout so beam specs as well...I think I'll stick with 7875 or M462 on my modules..
What do you think guys?

photon

Post by photon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 am

The beam is the same after the stock lens as it is at the emiter, ie you can always revert it back to the emitter even after the stock lens. Know what i am saying?

JORS

Re: NUBM05,06,07,08 and NUGM01t diodes BEWARE!y

Post by JORS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:35 am

Sorry, don't follow..maybe my poor english. Could detail more in depth pls?

If I design a layout based on a given stock lens (vertically stack heigh offset, cyl distance from diode etc) and they change stock lens, my beam specs is also going to change for a given layout.
Say for example the 'mistery' stock colli is FL2mm...and I place the cyls at necessary distance to expand up to 5mm.
If they suddenly change the colli by a FL4mm, my layout would require to place the cyls far away from diode to achieve such 5mm expansion.
The same for stacking...near field beam size will change depending on stock lens FL

photon

Re: NUBM05,06,07,08 and NUGM01t diodes BEWARE!y

Post by photon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19 pm

JORS wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:35 am
Sorry, don't follow..maybe my poor english. Could detail more in depth pls?

If I design a layout based on a given stock lens (vertically stack heigh offset, cyl distance from diode etc) and they change stock lens, my beam specs is also going to change for a given layout.
Say for example the 'mistery' stock colli is FL2mm...and I place the cyls at necessary distance to expand up to 5mm.
If they suddenly change the colli by a FL4mm, my layout would require to place the cyls far away from diode to achieve such 5mm expansion.
The same for stacking...near field beam size will change depending on stock lens FL
Yes of course but that is easy, use a system where your optics are mounted on a system which will always work. Like optical rail.

Return to “New Laser Diode Tests”