Wheel for Lumia

Laser Lumia Components sourcing, Motors, speed controllers & Lumia Discs Materials
Antharak

Re: Wheel for Lumia

Post by Antharak » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:15 am

I can get my motor down to .05rpm any slower and it gets jumpy. The output shaft is offset so I can get about 5mm overhang. Just barely got the two beams on the disk. I glued a magnet onto the disk and it works fine. Soon I will epoxy a ring magnet onto the shaft and then a disk magnet on the glass wheels. One question, If I put a cap across the motor terminals will that make the motor run smother?
Thanks for all your help guys.
Ed

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:54 pm

NO...Try a PWM speed controller......such as.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is what I use.

I do not think that the capacitor will help....maybe some....Electronics is not my thing.....I only know enough to get in trouble !!

A speed of 4 to 8 RPH....not RPM is what I like !!! very, very S L O W !!!! SOoooo down around 0.125 RPM SLOW !!!

And yes.....if you drop the voltage toooo low.....she gets "gittery"....not what ya want !!!...looks like crap !!

AND....beware....if you go too low with the voltage.....the motor speed will go from "gittery",,,to " Stall ".....the motor shaft will go full stop !!! NOW....I believe....that if the motor is left on....in this " Stall " state....damage to the motor will occur !!!
Not what ya want either !!!

Bob
Beam Axiom #1 ~ The Quantum Well is DEEP ! Photons or ALL.
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

photon

Post by photon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:10 pm

I've not read all this thread, but

do you know you can make a very cheap little speed controller using an old shitty 5 dollar RC servo?

You remove the PCB, replace the pot with fixed resistors of the same value, you can then PWM the driver easily to get speed and direction control over a range. ie DMX to RCservo control.

You could then attach that to a small DC motor with a belt to a drive wheel.

DMX to RC servo is very easy, there already exists a nice little 8 channel PCB to do exactly that.
http://northlightdmx.com/DMX512toRCservo.htm

So you could drive 8 motors by DMX from old harvested RC servo parts.

Antharak

Post by Antharak » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:23 am

Thanks for the info guys I will have to see what I can come up with as far as mounting goes. can't really do much in the way of fabrication where I live.
I will try the PWM motor control and start working on a pulley and belt system.
Thanks again
Ed

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:00 am

Well....You have hit the wall of a basic problem...that I have found...and that Clickamouse has been working on...for several years !!!!

LUMIA DISC SPEED !!! IMNSHO....The range of 4 to 12 RPH....Revolutions per HOUR....are what I like !!!!

THIS IS SLOW !!!!!! VERY SLOW !!

So...How do we get there ??? NOT EASY !!

There are many Time Clock motors available....Most...AC....so...practically....Speed control is not going to happen with the AC motor !!!...One needs a DC Motor....to employ PWM Speed control.

OK....That said...How do I get to the 4 to 12 RPH range ?????

OK...to have a speed control....we MUST use a DC motor !!! I use the 0.5 RPM Gearmotor from Servocity....and the speed control posted further up in this thread...... from RioRand.

SO....we start with .5 RPM....that equals 30 RPH....well...THAT will not DO !!! Now....even with the speed control....I could not go low enough in speed....SOoooo ....I designed and machined a belt/drive system to achieve the slower speed.

Now.....While this works...I am still looking for a more straight forward solution !! We may have to give up the ability to speed control

I have some ideas.....and will add to this thread soon !

See here.... A 6 RPH Motor....supplied by 24 VAC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Synchron-37680- ... 0099970588

Bob

ADDED !!! See this motor....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-6RPM-Reversib ... 2308830790

MMmmmmm???? $ 8.39 vs $ 25.00 THAT IS MUCH BETTER...THANX...ABSOLOM 7692 !!!! Great find !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
SERVOCITY 0.5 RPM  Gearmotor.png
SERVOCITY 0.5 RPM Gearmotor.png (163.18 KiB) Viewed 951 times
Beam Axiom #2 ~ A Chicken in every Pot...and a Laser Lumia in every living room.
Beam Axiom # 3 ~ " A Posse ad Essea" - From being possible...to being actual ...is the beam target.

Antharak

Post by Antharak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:23 am

I like the worm gear motor. I have some robot pieces that I can add to and setup a system that will give me 8-RPH or less. I'm going to get a gear kit that has 4 worm gear sets in it. I think it will work, it just will look like the gear box from hell, with the rotation axis going 90 DEG 5 times. That's if I use all 4 gear sets.
Last edited by Antharak on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDBEAM

Post by CDBEAM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:07 am

Well....No one will notice the convoluted twists and turns of the gear box axis !!!...They will be mesmerized by the ultra slow dance of the interleaved / interference patterns...and Nebula formations up on the target screen !!!! There may be a few engineer types...who will look under the hood....but...they travel to a different beat anyway !!!!

Us normal folk ...should and will be blown away by the " Laser Lumia-Dance of the Photon s" !!!!

And...The Worm gear drive motor is 12 VDC....which means it can be PWM for a slower speed.

However....I am fairly convinced....that we CANNOT slow the speed down enough with a PWM unit....and still avoid a " gittery " display....by using even a 0.6 RPM motor !!!!!!

Maybe a 0.2RPM....or....0.3 RPM DC gearmotor....then coupled with a PWM unit....would deliver the rotation speed and display I currently have....WITH NO ADDITIONAL BELT SPEED REDUCTION....Dunno !!!

The search continues !!!! I am sure a custom gear reduction unit could be ordered...at some outrageous price per motor !!!....Nah !!!

Maybe a 0.875 degree per step...stepper motor....coupled to a very high gear reduction unit ????....Maybe not !!!...Even a 0.875 degree per step might deliver a " gittery" display !!!...Dunno ???

See this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Nema17-Hybr ... 2046384255

Later,
Bob
Last edited by CDBEAM on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antharak

Post by Antharak » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am

I have the opportunity to buy a LPM with a Ophir sensor so my Lumia project is on hold. I have found a gear set and frame parts to build my Lumia. Don't get the double post above. Did not mean to do it.
Ed

siteadmin
Site Admin

Post by siteadmin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 am

Antharak wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am
Don't get the double post above. Did not mean to do it.
Ed
Removed the first one.

Return to “Laser Lumia Components”